Wayne Rooney, the former England captain reacted after Cristiano Ronaldo and Manchester United parted ways with immediate effect on Tuesday.
He was not surprised to see Manchester United showing the exit door to Cristiano Ronaldo after the Portugal captain had launched an all-out attacks on the bigwigs of the Red Devil in an explosive interview held before the FIFA World Cup 2022. Ronaldo, who is one of the most decorated players in the history of the beautiful game, will not return to Old Trafford after the campaign of Portugal at the FIFA World Cup 2022 in Qatar. On Tuesday, Ronaldo and Manchester United parted ways with immediate effect.
The thirty-seven year old Portugal had made sporadic appearances for the Red Devils in the 2022-23 season. While appearing for an interview, he called out Erik ten Hag, the manager of Manchester United. Ronaldo said that there was no respect left in him for the Red Devils manager. During the bombshell interview with Piers Morgan, former teammates Garry Neville and Rooney were also hit by the former Real Madrid and Juventus.
Manchester United took cognisance of the sensational remarks of Ronaldo about the luminaries of the club and released an official statement on Tuesday confirming the unceremonious exit of the talismanic forward before the end of the season which was on going. Former England forward Rooney shared his first reaction after Manchester United and Ronald parted ways and opined that there was no other option left with Premier League club other than terminating the contract of the Portuguese stalwart after the interview fall-out.
Rooney told Sports 18, “It’s sad. Once he had done the interview and how he had attacked the club, there was no option. I think there was no option. It’s a shame because he has been a servant to Manchester United. He’s obviously still a very good player. I think he’s not the player now that he was at 23. It’s probably the best thing…For Cristiano now, the sole purpose will be to focus on the World Cup”.
Ronaldo has become a free agent after leaving Manchester United ahead of the winter transfer window. Any club can be signed by the Portugal captain next year. The Portugal captain, nicknamed CR7, rejoined Manchester United from Serie A giants Juventus in 2021. 145 goals in 346 appearances were scored by the five time Ballon d’Or winner for the Red Devils.
- Wayne Rooney reacted after Manchester United and Cristiano Ronaldo broke up.
- He was unsurprised by Manchester United’s show of the exit door.
- After Portugal’s performance, Ronaldo won’t be returning to Old Trafford.
- The breakup between Ronaldo and Manchester United was announced on Tuesday with immediate effect.
- During the 2022–23 season, the 37-year-old Portugal has only made sporadic appearances for the Red Devils.
- During an interview, he disparaged Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag.
- Ronaldo alleged that he no longer respected the Red Devils’ manager.
- Ronaldo is currently a free agent after leaving Manchester United before the end of the winter transfer window.
- Next season, the captain of Portugal can join any team.
Read more about : Van Bronckhorst Sacked by Rangers | ‘Results haven’t met expectations’